New Fluke Networks MultiFiber Pro Cuts Testing Time of Fiber Trunks by 95 Percent
In today’s market, few MPO fiber trunks are tested in the field, given it takes an average of 6.5 minutes to set up and test each of the 12 fibers in an MPO trunk.2 The MultiFiber Pro reduces that time to approximately 20 seconds (14 seconds for set up, 6 seconds for testing).3 For the average data center with 1,600 MPO trunks,4 the MultiFiber Pro tester can save contractors more than 155 hours of labor and $17,000 USD in costs, assuming an average burdened labor rate of $55 USD.5
“With growth rates of 40 Gbps in data centers expected to grow by more than 175 percent by 2016, 6 it’s critical that we provide our customers with a solution that makes the MPO testing process both easy and cost efficient,” said Jason Wilbur, vice president of datacom cabling and installation tools at Fluke Networks. “That need is compounded by the fact that pre-terminated MPO cables can be damaged or contaminated during transport and installation, and industry best practices dictate that validating performance is a critical step in ensuring data center performance.”
The MultiFiber Pro includes:
- A single “Scan All” test function that automatically tests all 12 fibers in an MPO connector.
- Built-in polarity verification for end-to-end connectivity of MPO trunk cables.
- Innovative, intuitive user interface to display all 12 fiber test results.
- An on-board MPO connector that eliminates the need, cost and complexity associated with a fan out cord.
- A “Select Individual Fiber” function that allows the user to troubleshoot a single fiber with more precision.
- A shuttered fiber connector that eliminates the need for dust caps and increases reliability by reducing contamination.
- Integration with LinkWare 7 for seamless results management and reporting.