Maxim's Highly Integrated Optical Sensors Measure RGB, Ambient Light, Proximity Motion, Infrared, and Temperature
The MAX44004/05/06/08 measure red/green/blue (RGB) light levels, ambient visible light (ALS), proximity to the sensor, ambient infrared (IR) levels, and temperature. As many as seven sensors are integrated into one compact optical package. The sensors provide robust and repeatable measurements and the MAX44005/MAX44006/MAX44008 all consume an industry-low 20µA each. The high integration reduces system cost, eliminates several external components, and greatly simplifies design. These optical sensors can be used in a wide variety of applications such as smartphones, tablets, portable consumer devices, displays, digital light management, security systems, and medical devices.
Optical sensors provide higher levels of integration
- The MAX44004 is a low-power ALS that consumes only 5µA.
- The MAX44006/MAX44008 integrate RGB color sensors plus an ALS (clear), an ambient IR, and temperature sensors.
- The MAX44005 includes an RGB color sensor plus an ALS (clear), ambient IR, IR proximity, and temperature sensors.
"There is a progression of trends toward a world where everything is connected, where sensors become pervasive and technology virtually disappears," said Chae Lee, Senior Vice President of Maxim's Mobility Group. "Our goal is for these devices to be a natural extension of ourselves."
Temperature range, packaging, and availability
- The MAX44005/MAX44006/MAX44008 are guaranteed over the -40°C to +85°C temperature range.
- MAX44004 is guaranteed over the -40°C to +105°C temperature range.
- All sensors are available in a 2mm x 2mm x 0.6mm optical package.
- Pricing starts at $1.20 (1000-up, FOB USA).