Texas Instruments Low-Power FPD-Link Serializer Offers Industry's Highest Resolution for Tablets
FPD-Link is the original LVDS interface for LCD panels and is interoperable with TI's FlatLink products. It uses three or more differential signals, plus a clock, to transmit video data to the panel. LVDS is the most widely deployed interface for mid-sized display panels and requires no software overhead, enabling faster time-to-market for production ramp. Until recently, display resolutions for tablets could get by with a single-lane LVDS interface. With increasing panel sizes and higher resolution displays, dual LVDS interfaces are proliferating.
Key features and benefits of the DS90C187
- A single 1.8-V supply rail enables ultra-low 90-mW typical power consumption when operating at WUXGA (1920 x 1200) high-definition resolution with 24-bit RGB color.
- 185-MHz pixel clock allows support of 24-bit color video resolution up to WQXGA (2560 x 1600) at 30 Hz and QXGA (2048 x 1536) at 60 Hz, enhancing the consumer's video experience.
- A space-saving 7-mm x 7-mm dual row QFN package minimizes board area and simplifies layout.
- Support for reduced-swing LVDS mitigates electromagnetic interference (EMI).
- Optional 18-bit color mode, 6 bits per pixel, further reduces power consumption and enables compatibility with lower cost panels.