Silex Technology America Introduces 802.11a/b/g/n, Dual-Band Solutions Based on Qualcomm Atheros AR6003 Chip
According to ABI Research, the Wi-Fi equipment market is expected to see more than nine percent compound annual growth rate (CAGR) from 2011 to 2016, with the enterprise segment contributing the bulk of the growth at more than 21 percent CAGR. With a skyrocketing number of Wi-Fi devices crowding the 2.4GHz band, Wi-Fi users are looking for dual-band products that leverage the 5GHz band for applications requiring relatively interference-free bandwidth. The SX-SDPAN and SX-SDMAN provide a cost-effective way for manufacturers to add dual-band wireless capabilities in addition to integrated Bluetooth 4.0 support.
Silex Technology based the SX-SDPAN on Qualcomm Atheros’ third-generation SDIO WLAN technology (AR6003). The SX-SDPAN brings 802.11n throughput, range and power efficiency to portable electronic devices.
The SX-SDPAN features:
- High-performance, ultra-low power, single stream (1x1) dual-band SDIO SiP with IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN plus advanced Bluetooth 4.0 combo solution.
- Bluetooth 3.0+HS (High Speed) and Bluetooth 4.0+LE (Low Energy) standards enabling seamless integration of Bluetooth/WLAN.
- Best-in-class receive sensitivity for superior throughput.
- Industry leading security including WPS and WEP/WPA/WPA2.
- Near zero power consumption in idle and stand-by enables user to leave WLAN and BT “always on.”
- Advanced BT/WLAN coexistence and concurrent RX for superior rate-over-range and very low frequency.
The SX-SDMAN wireless radio module integrates the SX-SDPAN SiP to offer the following benefits:
- Highest product quality (design and production validation). Silex Technology significantly reduces RF-related design integration and tests its design to perform to IEEE standards. In addition, Silex Technology tests each module individually to ensure that each of its products will perform to the published specification.
- FCC/Telec modular certification. Silex Technology eliminates the need for re-testing radio intentional radiation for obtaining regulatory approvals.
- Upgrade path. The SX-SDMAN is pin-compatible with the SX-SDMGN wireless radio module released in 2011, providing device manufacturers with the option to offer both a single-band and dual-band solution. In addition, Silex Technology expects to introduce modules that incorporate next-generation Qualcomm Atheros radios into the same physical form factor.
“We are exceptionally qualified to enable device manufacturers to integrate Qualcomm Atheros AR6003 technology into products,” said Keith Sugawara, vice president, business development, Silex Technology America. “Silex Technology America can help shorten the time to market with our new products and engineering design services. Plus, as a Qualcomm Atheros Authorized Design Center (ADC), we provide the driver and security supplicant to provide an efficient and seamless single-vendor total solution.”
The SX-SDPAN and SX-SDMAN samples now are available for evaluation. Silex Technology also provides an evaluation kit (part number SX-6K3-EVK-DB), which includes a sample radio driver and tools to test basic wireless functionality, throughput and RF characteristics.